Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Take the Time to Enjoy Fall~ A Fun Article by Hogan Stevens


Well, the fall season is quickly approaching. Soon the leaves will be changing color and the days will start getting cooler, marking the end of the fun summer. Gone are the days of swimming pools and ice cream, beaches and tanning…but wait, who said that summer is the only time to have fun? You can have just as much fun enjoying the fall weather as you did summer--maybe even more so.

Fall is my all-time favorite season. I love watching the trees as they slowly change from green to soft yellows, bright oranges, and fiery reds. I even love how the weather turns just cold enough for a light jacket! This year I am going to do everything I can to enjoy the last of the nice weather before winter rolls around. And I hope you’ll join me.

There are so many things to do during fall. You can get lost with your friends in a seemingly endless corn maze, ride your bike through a multicolored leaf-strewn street, go to a pumpkin patch…Have you noticed yet that all of the activities I’ve named require going outside? Well, how else could you enjoy the lovely weather? And I really don’t think glancing out of the window while you check your email counts.

Last year, my whole home school group had a cook out around this time of the year, and it was a blast. We played laser tag in the trees, roasted hotdogs on an open fire, and rode in horse-drawn carriages. The whole thing lasted a few hours, but it was fun to be doing something different for a change. Even when it grew dark and it got pretty cold, we all had a great time, coveralls and everything!

I’m not saying you have to spend hours outside having a cook out, or that you have to get together with a large group of people. Just do something to witness God’s magnificence in the nature.

You can go to a park to just take a seat and observe the beauty around you. I actually did this a few days ago with some of my home school buddies. We simply enjoyed being outside. Some people chose to find a seat somewhere and just talk, and others (namely, the boys) chose to play some games together. There’s something about fall that gives you a sense of peace and freedom, whatever you do.

Even if you cannot actually experience the fall weather where you live, you can still enjoy the season by heading to a pumpkin patch to grab a few pumpkins or by spending an afternoon at a fall festival. Festivals are a great place to gather with some friends while enjoying fun games and yummy foods. Treat yourself!

Of course, there are lots of fun things to do inside, too. Grab a friend or two and make some delicious food that reminds you of fall: cinnamon rolls, apple cider, pumpkin bread…Baking is a great way to bond with mom and friends and to fill your house with the unmistakably warm smell of fall. Maybe try something new by finding some recipes that you’ve never tried before. You might just discover a new favorite food!

I would love to be able to take a hike or walk down a path surrounded by trees, but where I come from, mountains and lots of trees are hard to come by. Even so, I make the best of what I have by simply enjoying the time I spend with my friends and family, whether it be going outside or baking goodies.

Hopefully, I’ve inspired you to take the time to appreciate the coming fall weather. If I have and you are planning on enjoying a day of outside fun, remember one thing: Watch out for those annoying mosquitoes! Every single time I go outside, the little monsters eat me up. I suspect they’ve formed a secret pact against me. So, if you’re like me, you may need to have some bug spray handy (and sunscreen, too). You want to have a fun time that leaves you with good memories, not itchy legs and burnt arms! And if you think you would have fun trying new foods at a festival or by baking them yourself, then go ahead, and don’t worry about it. Take the time to enjoy fall and, more precisely, to enjoy yourself!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fall!!!!!!!!! I mean, with my birthday, apple cider, awesome color, cool breeze, hoodies, parties, and snuggling up with a book kinda weather - what girl could resist?
    :) Like it Hogan!
    Luv ya!
    (btw, I'm homeschooled too! And we do fall things like this every year!)
    Emily.

    ReplyDelete