Monday, December 20, 2010

Just The Way You Are~ An Issues Article by Hogan Stevens

In the world today, there is so much pressure for us to be beautiful. Everywhere you turn, you see thin models, attractive actresses, and even the popular girls that seem to have it all. As young women, we very often feel that we are not enough. We think that we are ugly or just plain unlikable.

I regularly struggle with my self-esteem. I have always been very shy and self-conscious, and there are some times when I just can’t look at myself without finding my smallest faults. When people compliment me and tell me that I am pretty, I find it hard to believe them.

Why is it we are like this? Why has society made it so hard for us to just accept ourselves? Everything has to be their definition of beautiful: full lips and a trim figure… otherwise known as perfect. But that’s just it! No one is perfect! Not even those lovely models that seem to be just what everyone wants to look like.  Did you know that even they sometimes struggle with their looks?! I think that every woman goes through a time where she feels like there is nothing pretty or lovable about her.

Watch this video. Not everyone is as real as they seem. They are not perfect.




And, of course, that is not true.

In God’s eyes, you are His adored and beautiful creation, the one He smiles upon with love, the one He wants to be with forever. To Him, you are beautiful just the way you are. Never mind trying to become someone you aren’t; God made you a certain way, and He doesn’t make mistakes, does He? No!

He thinks about you all of the time, as it says in Psalm 139:17-18, “How precious concerning me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.” Greater than the sand? Just think of how many grains of sand there must be in the world…God’s thoughts of you are many times more than that.

Still hesitant to believe that such a powerful, all-knowing God could possibly love someone like you? Well, if this is not love, then I don’t know what is: “God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8) Jesus Christ came to this earth for one purpose: to sacrifice Himself for our salvation, so that we might one day be with Him in His kingdom.

And sometimes, we forget this love that God has so graciously shown us. We forget that He made us in His image, that He longs for us to come to Him…We get so caught up in trying to make ourselves beautiful by the world’s standards, that we fail to see the beauty we already have. This makes the Lord so sad! He hates it when His children feel inferior, when we cry because we think we are not enough.

There is one song that comes to mind as I write this. It is called “How Deep the Father’s Love” and my favorite line is, “How deep the Father’s love for us, how vast beyond all measure. That He should give His only Son and make a wretch His treasure.”

To God, you are more than enough. To Him, you are beautiful…just the way you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment