Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Word From the Wise (The Wise Being God)























Dear Nadia,

What is your viewpoint on purity rings? Do you have one? Do you suggest we all have one?

~ <3


Dear <3,
Purity rings took off in the 90s as abstinence began to be really strongly promoted. A purity ring is a type of promise ring - a promise that we will "[not awaken] love until the time is right... not stir up or awaken love until it pleases" (Song of Solomon 8:4).

For me, my purity ring - received on my 14th birthday - is an awesome way to remind me of my pledge to remain pure until marriage. I know most people pray a special prayer and fill out a pledge card with their promise to remain pure, but the only kind of ceremony for me when I got my ring was a quick but heartfelt prayer said in the car with my mom that the Lord would be my strength to keep me from temptation and lead me to true love. I have never had a boyfriend, but that doesn't mean that my purity ring is pointless! If anything, my ring provides an even stronger reminder - I need to save myself even when it seems like there is nothing to wait for.

And purity rings don't have to just apply to guys either! In all of our relationships, patience is very important. "Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience" (Colossians 3:12) and "Love is patient" (1 Corinthians 13:4). A purity ring reminds us that, in God, we can be strong enough to take all kinds of relationships slowly - in other words, instead of rushing in and out of relationships seeking security in them, basing our security on God alone because: "I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38-39).

Now that much said, a purity ring is pointless if you are not going to choose to hold up its message. A purity ring should not serve to simply make you feel better about yourself. It should not be an excuse for you to go as far as you possibly can in a physical relationship without having sex. In making a promise to be pure, you should dedicate your whole heart to God and your whole strength to remaining pure until you not only meet your future husband, but are married to him! What a beautiful thing to be able to say to your husband on your wedding night, "I saved myself totally for you, and only you so that now I can give myself to you completely."

Stay pure, beautiful girl! If you choose to get a purity ring, I pray that God will use it as a reminder that your heart should be so lost in Him that men must seek Him to find you (Maya Angelou).

Source for history of the purity ring: http://www.purityringsonline.com/history-of-the-purity-ring
Did you know that Nadia attempts to play the guitar and piano?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment