Friday, March 30, 2012

The Big Girl's Survival Guide~ Freelance by Ariel Gaskill

For the young woman who likes to have a plan of action, this article was written with you in mind. 

Every little girl at one point or another has concocted a list of her dreams and aspirations in her head or in her journal.

I think that it is coded into our DNA to think about the future.

When we were younger we played “Mommy” with our baby dolls and coddled them with care as if they were real; and let our imaginations run wild as we painted a picture of what we wanted our wedding day to look like.

Even though some of us are still little girls at heart, now we are called to be “big girls,” little women if you will, and grace the working world with eloquent speech, class, and our undeniable charm. But first we need to be equipped to fill our own stilettos in a world still dominated by wingtips. How do we accomplish this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jordan Christy, author of How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World suggests that every woman should have a “smart girl list.”  This is a list of attainable goals that we set for ourselves. The key is that we have to make a sincere effort to complete everything on our list.



W

e need to be equipped to fill our own stilettos in a world still dominated by wingtips.”



Here is a practical, sure proof way to survive in the working world:



Ari’s Big Girl Survival Guide

  1. A.S.A.P- Always Say A Prayer. A prayer that is engraved on my heart is Psalms 143: 8-12 which reads as follows, “Cause me to hear your loving-kindness in the morning; for in Thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. Deliver me, Oh Lord, from mine enemies: I flee unto Thee to hide me.  Teach me to do my will; for thou art my God: Thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness. Quicken me Oh Lord, for thy name’s sake: for thy righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble. And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am Thy servant.
  2. Confidence- It’s the best foundation
  3. Humility- the perfect accessory to your character
  4. A smile- a small accent that goes a long way (and with every outfit)
  5. A little blush- to add a little something extra
  6. Lip gloss- an essential
  7. tool to complete the package
  8. A comfortable second pair of shoes- stilettos are great for a while, but you always want to have  a back up
  9. A concise and well-written résumé- your charm can get you in the door, but a good resume can land you the job!



No list will be the same; one may be an entire page, others may be a few bullet points.  No matter what our lists look like, all of our aspirations can be reached with good old-fashioned hard work and dedication. These two ingredients can make for a sweet-tasting life.



Copyright © 2012 by Ariel E. Gaskill

2 comments:

  1. Terrific article, Ariel! I love it. :) It's great to read a nice practical article like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ariel  I really appreciate that

    ReplyDelete