Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pursuing a Modest Wardrobe~ A Beauty Article by Madeline Hunt

 
 
This culture has most people thinking “I need this or that to be ‘in style.’ ” Because we live in a culture of immodesty it is very easy to fall into habits of dressing immodestly, being flirtatious, and trying to catch guy's eyes. But we don’t need to dress immodesty to be stylish. There are many items that are modest or with layering can be modest. Cute modest clothes are out there you may just have to spend more time looking and possibly more money. If you want to be modest, cute and economical I suggest checking out consignment stores or thrift stores.
 
Shopping can be a challenge even at consignment/thrift stores, when trying on an article of clothing ask yourself these questions:
  • Would I want Jesus or my future husband seeing me wearing this?
  • Will I be self-conscious or constantly worrying that I am showing too much?
  • Will it draw attention to my face, not my body?
  • Is it comfortable and suitable for the activity/event I’ll wear it for? 
  • Would my parents approve of it?

For the clothes you already own, I suggest that you regularly do a Modesty Check. Do this with a like minded friend or family member. Try on your clothes and have your friend or family member give you their honest opinion.  Is the item modest? Put it back in your closet.  Is the item so-so?  Put in a to-be-decided pile.  Is the item immodest in any way?  Give it away, or sell it to a consignment store.  (Any money you earn could be used to buy modest clothes)  Go through the “to-be-decided” pile with your Dad or brother. Don’t justify keeping clothes if your friend or family member says it’s immodest.
Every time you put a shirt back on the shelf at a store or give away a less-than-modest item, you are showing love to your brothers-in-Christ.

Please don’t think that I am not tempted to dress immodestly–I am!  (and sometimes I give in) “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” Romans 3:23

But we are also given a way to say “no” to any temptation including immodesty. 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man and God is faithful he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear but when you are tempted he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

Let me encourage you to pursue a modest, feminine, and fashionable wardrobe!


No comments:

Post a Comment