I am here to encourage you - smile!
Often we Christians play serious, too often we’re party poopers - aren’t we? Okay - if the house is about to go up in flames do to a bag of marshmallows sitting on the stove while your pasta was cooking, your friend has just joined the army at age 15, or your mom is dying her hair purple - I would understand your serious or shall we say chaotic attitude! But since those things rarely happen I encourage a smile, a laugh, a tear or two at a lame joke.
I happen to be a very serious person.
It happens to be a very common trait in the oldest sibling of large families.
I’m not joking.
Anyways, my mom, who is the youngest in her family of five - is a very silly person.
I am so serious!
She is the mom who loves um…shall we say….fart machines….duck whistles….driving around a parking lot blasting Christian rap music while rocking to the beat…. (we don’t normally listen to rap ) ……waking me up with a spray of water…..all that normal mom stuff….yeah.!” If someone suddenly surprised you with this little command would you smile immediately, or frown in a distrustful attitude?
Mom is awesome.
But I am the opposite.
I don’t find farts, (eww!) dancing in front of the public, and making a nut out of myself.
Mom is usually the one to try and make me laugh.
Now, don’t take me wrong - I’m not your average Scrooge or anything, it just takes a little more than a practical joke to get me laughing…..okay! Maybe I am a Scrooge!
But I want to be a happy little camper, but….but…but….oh! Fine! I’m just too shy!
And yet, here I am encouraging you to smile and laugh at your cousins knock - knock joke! And do it seriously too!
There are a lot of things to laugh about these days! Take my mom, a silly aunt, the red zit on your forehead! I think we serious ones need a laugh! We need a challenge - and here it is - laugh 10 times a day! Here are some ideas to make you laugh;
1. Buy your dad a duck whistle,
2. Laugh at every single little kid knock-knock joke this new year,
3. Go to the dollar store with your girlfriends - or better yet - the mall in red clown wigs and green nail polish and poke around in the soap department,
4. Dance in the rain with your siblings,
5. Have a pie eating contest - no hands!
6. Write a limerick and share it with your best friend over Grape Crush and an ice-cream,
7. Hopscotch in the snow with one foot and your arms in your coat,
8. Go for a picnic with ice foods - popsicles, frozen grapes and anything else you think of in this winter with your friends in the school yard or at the park,
9. Ask random people at a home game if they know where your flea went
10. Start laughing during a quiet moment - other will join and it’s likely they won’t stop!
So, you have some ideas now - start laughing!
Now, on a serious note, be careful when you ask people about your pet flea - people might not be able to look at you straight!