Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ask Nadia

Dear Nadia,
My mom and I have very different tastes in music. She likes hymns and praise songs and I like more upbeat songs, like pop and contemporary. Is there a way that I can get my mom to compromise with me, so I don't have to ALWAYS listen to hymns and praise songs when I'm with her?
Music Madness
Dear Music Madness,
First of all, I think it's SO great that both you and your mom have such a liking of music that praises and honors the Lord! I think He would be honored by your continued humility in deferring to your mom.
Ephesians 5:21 says 'Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.' Your letting her choose is a beautiful offering to God. However, I don't see anything wrong with asking to/suggesting that you listen to something else. If you politely ask your mom if you can listen to more contemporary praise music, you respect her preferences, but also have the chance to present your own! Try to settle on a compromise - you can listen to her music sometimes and yours other times. If she refuses, just choose to have a good attitude :)
Philippians 2:4 says 'In humility count others more significant than yourselves.' That's a really hard truth to follow (especially for me since I struggle with pride!) but it is one that is very important. Even if you aren't able to listen to music you, like when your mom is making the music selection - in the car or the kitchen, etc. - you can listen to your music when you're doing homework or during your prayer time! If you can't come up with a compromise, find time when you're on your own to honor God with praise music!

God bless you girl!
:) Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment