Monday, December 26, 2011

It Was Crystal Clear to Me~ Haylie Gregory

I didn’t notice it sitting there. It was small and out of the way of any. How was I supposed to know it was so important? The only reason I noticed it was because the sunlight caught it as I was passing by. It was just lying there, unnoticed by all who passed. I picked it up and brushed off the snow that had rested upon it. It sparkled as the sunlight caught it once again. I twirled it around in my fingers, mesmerized by the way it cast a rainbow on the sidewalk. I had never seen an actual crystal before. Who knew that such a small, simple object, could behold so much beauty?



I tucked the crystal deep into my pocket and continued down the sidewalk. I could feel the crystal rubbing up against my leg as I quickened my steps to the coffee shop. I was anxious to escape the blistering cold, December weather. I, happily, opened the door to the coffee shop and ordered a caramel macchiato and a cinnamon bun, a little treat for a hard days work. I found a seat close to the fireplace and tried to warm myself.



Once I placed my bag on the floor, I reached into my pocket and retrieved the crystal. I stared at it, watching the flames from the fire glisten through the crystal. It made every bit of light seem much more radiant than it really was. It seemed magical.



 I placed the crystal down on the table when my coffee and cinnamon bun arrived. Wrapping my hands around the coffee cup, I lifted the cup to the tip of my nose, inhaling the scent of sweet caramel. My body was instantly warm. A few moments later, a short, pixie-like woman entered the coffee shop, followed by a tall, strong looking man. Both of their faces bore the same, sad look. They ordered their coffees and took the vacant seats a table away from mine. The women ran her fingers through her hair and rested her head on the palm of her hand.



“It’s okay, Jennifer,” the man said as he reach of her hand. “We’ll find it.”



Jennifer sighed as she intertwined her fingers in his. “Brian, we’ve been looking all day. It’s gone and I just have to accept it.”



“I think we should keep looking. I know how much that crystal means to you,” Brain said. He looked at her with such sweet compassion. You could clearly see that he cared for her.



“Yeah, it was my grandmother’s. She gave it to me just before she died. Grandpa Hamilton gave it to her as a wedding gift. I was hoping to wear it for our wedding. I just can’t believe I lost it.” Jennifer sank her head into her hands and let out another heart-breaking sigh.



I looked down at the crystal that sat on my table. The side of my lips curled up in a small smile. I knew the crystal was magical. I looked over at Jennifer and Brian and saw the magic there. It was true love.



I grabbed the crystal from the table and walked over to Jennifer and Brian’s table. They looked up at me, both looking very tired and cold.



“I’m sorry, but I overheard you two talking about a crystal and I wanted to ask if this was it,” I said as I extened my hand that held the crystal.



Jennifer’s face lit up. “Oh goodness! My crystal! Brain, look! It’s my grandmother’s crystal! Where did you find it?”



“Three blocks from here. It was buried underneath some snow. If the sun hadn’t caught it, you never would have been able to find it.” A huge smile covered Jennifer’s face, as well as Brian’s.



“Oh thank you! You have no idea how important this is to me!” Jennifer said, looking up at me through tear-filled eyes.



“I’m just glad it’s back to its rightful owner,” I said with a smile.



“How can we repay you?” Brain asked me, looking just as delighted as Jennifer.



“No need, just be sure not to lose it again.”



“Oh, trust me; I’m going to lock it away in my jewelry box until the day of the wedding!” Jennifer said laughing.



“Good idea and congratulations on the wedding!”



 With their many thanks, I left them to themselves and sat back down at my table. I couldn’t help but glance at Jennifer and Brain every now and then, looking much more cheery than when they walked in.



 I couldn’t help but think about how much more special Jennifer’s wedding was going to be, having her grandmother’s crystal around her neck. I wondered if she would have a daughter and pass the crystal down to her, along with the story of the day she thought she lost it forever. I then took a bite of my cinnamon bun, feeling delightful about how wonderful the day had turned out to be.


Did you know that Haylie has watched "White Christmas" over 5 times in one week?!
Did you know that Abby's favorite holiday is Christmas?!

Photographs property of Lilies Among Thorns Magazine. Photograph taken by Abby Whear.



No comments:

Post a Comment