Monday, January 30, 2012

Winter Walk~ Emily Ciszewski

My legs, my face, my fingers are all feeling frosty, but this walk is sweet.
As I move my feet over the street, our hands are locking tighter, and we’re not letting go.
The snow-flakes keep falling, and we stop and look up - white clouds, pale blue sky - our heads touching and our eyes on the same distant star, the first one of the evening.
I smile, he smiles right back.
We turn the corner, a small park in view - like children we race to the swings, our hands are locking tighter, and we’re not letting go.
I hold unto the rusty chain with one hand as he sits in the rickety swing beside me, soon we’re kicking our way up. I giggle and he breathes deep, our hands are locking tighter, and we’re not letting go.
More stars are appearing, each one so bright.
I let my head rest on his shoulder as we head back home, he strokes my hair and kisses my cold forehead with his warm breath. Our hands are locking tighter, and we’re not letting go.
We sit on the porch steps, looking at the world through the haze of a rosy new love,
We’re not even talking, and yet I feel like we’ve just had the most committed conversation I’ve ever known. I turn to look him in the eye - he nods.
It’s true.
It’s really us together.
This must be love.
Our hands are locking tighter, and we’re not letting go.


Did you know that Emily named her guiater Jabez?!
Did you know that Lauren woke her entire family up at 3am last Christmas?!

Photograph property of Lilies Among Thorns Magazine. Photograph taken my Lauren Jaji.

No comments:

Post a Comment