What is God's definition of beautiful?
1 Samuel 16:7 says: “The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” God doesn't base beauty on what our face or our body looks like – His definition of beauty is based on what our heart looks like. We can get a good idea of what God considers beautiful by looking at Proverbs 31. A beautiful, godly woman:
- Brings good, not harm to others: a godly girl will encourage and lift others up; she will not gossip. She is thoughtful and puts others first.
- Works with eager hands/sets about her work vigorously: a godly girl does not complain, but serves diligently – happy to do the work God has set before her (check out Ephesians 6:7).
- She considers a field and buys it: this verse is basically saying that a godly girl thinks before she acts and is a good steward of what she has (including money).
- Her arms are strong for her tasks: a godly girl will seek to strengthen and develop herself – physically, mentally, and spiritually. She will strive to do her best in everything.
- She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy: a godly girl is humble and quick to serve others – especially those in need. She gives generously and selflessly.
- She is clothed with strength and dignity: To be clothed is an analogy for completely covering yourself. Basically, all a godly girl does will reflect the strength and dignity of her character.
- She can laugh at days to come: a godly girl trusts in God. She is not worried about the future because her life is in God's hands (see Proverbs 3:5-6).
- She speaks with wisdom: a godly girl knows the truth of God's Word and speaks it.
Bottom line? Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised” (Proverbs 31:30).
Did you know that Nadia likes to sing and dance?!?!