Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Testimony~ Heather Young

I was born and raised in a Christian home.  Early in life I accepted Jesus as my Savior.  I only listen to Christian radio stations, and have no urge whatsoever to do otherwise.  In addition, I have no desire to say cuss words.  If you would like to begin practicing those habits, pray that God would make you more like himself.  He works in my life every day, and I know he will do so in yours as well.  All you have to do is ask.

About a year ago, I was pondering whether or not I had trials.  Of course, in my small group at church, I would hear stories of what others were going through.  But, I felt different.  Instead of struggling to pray and have faith in God like everyone else around me, I had peace and did not feel like I was challenged with anything.  I talked to my small group leader, and she suggested praying to God and asking Him for a challenge.  Soon after, I spoke with my dad, and God gave me insight on why I felt like I wasn’t having trials.  He opened my eyes to ten things I had not seen before, ten ideas that helped me understand why I felt like I didn’t have trials.  I found verses that proved they were true, and now I would like to share them with you.

1.  Everyone has trials.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.”
1 Peter 4:12-13

Hardships are guaranteed in this life.  “Do not be surprised” when you suffer, but expect to be tested.  Moreover, “rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ.”  If you have joy in the fact that Christ has already suffered on your behalf, then that joy will continually encourage you throughout your journey.

2.  Everyone’s life is different, so not everyone experiences the same trials and things.

“May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
Hebrews 13:20-21

God prepares us for what is to come.  Although these gifts may be the same as some others’, each and every person obediently pursuing God’s plan for their lives will be equipped “with everything good for doing [God’s] will.”  Also, God “works in us what is pleasing to him,” meaning he prepares us each n our own way for what he is going to let us experience.

3.  God has a special purpose and plan for everyone.

“‘For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”
Jeremiah 29:11

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Romans 8:28

“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
Ephesians 2:10

4.  My life reflects God’s grace and goodness toward people.

“How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you.”
Psalm 31:19

“And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.”
Ephesians 2:6-9

I realized that my life displays God's mercy toward us, because he has given me great faith to stand strong when things seem difficult. 

5.  I may not feel like I have trials, but I do.

“…so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. You know quite well that we were destined for them. In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted.”
1 Thessalonians 3:3-4

“In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.”
2 Timothy 3:12

6.  God doesn’t protect us from trials, he helps us through them.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

7.  The reason it’s hard for me to see my trials is because God helps me to get through them so they seem really small.

“For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.”
1 Corinthians 1:25

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

8.  And in reality, trials are extremely small compared to our great big God!

“For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.”
1 Corinthians 1:25

“Trust in the Lord forever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.”
Isaiah 26:4

9.  Trials make us stronger, even if we don’t feel like they do.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”
1 Peter 1:3-4

“Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.”
Romans 5:3-4

“Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 1:6

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”
James 1:2-4, 12

The song “Stronger” by Mandisa relates to this topic very well.

10.  God doesn’t let us go through anything we can’t handle.

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”
1 Corinthians 10:13

A few days after a good small group discussion at church, my small group leader texted me and asked what I thought would be a good verse for us to memorize.  I found this verse, and the next week she brought cards that she had painted herself.  Having a verse put so artistically in front of me really helped me to remember it.  I recommend trying it.

I pray that my testimony has helped you to understand why you are having trials, how you should react to trials, or why you feel like you don’t have any trials!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing Heather! You go girl :)

    ReplyDelete