Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"We All Have Problems!"~ An Advice Column by Nadia

Dear Nadia,

My mom and dad are divorced and each one of them wants me to be with them for Thanksgiving.. the problem, the live over 2 hours part and I can't be with both of them. I like both of their families (they both remarried) but Im not sure what to do. Help?

Chicken on Thanksgiving



Dear Chicken on Thanksgiving,
Alrighty girly, this is a tough one. First, have you tried talking to either or both of your parents? If not, try that. Let them know how you feel and maybe they will be able to help you with it. Here are some compromise ideas:

- Have dinner with both families, if that isn't a tense, awkward situation.
- Spend part of the day with one side of your family and part of the day with the other side... even though you are 2 hours apart, if one of your parents could drive you to the other parent's house - say after lunch - you could even have a nice conversation in the car about your year, what you're thankful for, etc.

If neither of those options work, you're probably going to have to make a choice and spend Thanksgiving with only one of your parents :( You could try a switch off - spending Thanksgiving with one and Christmas with the other. Keep in mind that this is going to be a long term issue, so if one of these options works really well for you now, you can stick to it and avoid having to make tricky decisions in upcoming years. I hope your Thanksgiving is amazing! God bless you!
:) Nadia





Dear Nadia,

I had an argument with someone. I realized that I was not being very kind to her, and said I was sorry. I asked her to forgive me, but she won't. It is tearing me up inside. What should I do?
 
Regretful
 
 
Hi Regretful! Ok, like it or not, all you can do right now is pray :P It feels weird, doesn't it? Just sitting by and not doing anything except praying? But it can do wonders. Now, I don't mean just saying - Lord, please help so-and-so to forgive me. I mean saying 'Father, please bless so-and-so. Fill her with your love and bless her. Amen!' You can also pray for wisdom about whether to approach her again. If anything, give her some time to cool down and collect herself again after that argument. Assume the best and continue to be kind to her. This might be hard, but I know you can do it! If she continues to be unforgiving and if this is nothing new, she might be a frenemy. What is a frenemy? Well, read about what a frenemy is and how to deal with one here. We will pray for you and I hope that you can mend your friendship. May God bless you and give you wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment