Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Kid That Stinks~ A Spiritual Article by Emily Ciszewski



You know how I’m talking about right? The one who loves to come over and sit down right beside you? Who’s breathe and clothes reek, and who’s teeth are yellowed over? Who everyone picks on and no one misses when they’re not there?
Yeah. I’m sure you know just who I’m talking about. It’s kinda hard to forget them.

If someone asked me, “Em, how do you treat that kid? Are you kind? Do you listen? Do you care what happens to him/her?”
If I was being a fake I’d say - “Oh yeah - we’re tight! We’re best buds!”
But to be honest I’d tell you this; “Well….we’re not exactly best friends….I hardly ever speak to him/her….it’s hard…because of the smell…..and no one else talks to him/her….”

I know - I might sound like a hypocrite, right? But that’s the truth. And I want to always be truthful with you. I’ve strived to be.
Now - maybe you have the same problem as I do - a pride issue. A deep, deep, deep pride issue! And maybe you don’t. Maybe you’re the kind of person who should be writing this…..but let me tell you , my goal this month is to be so open armed - to the kid that stinks to the girl coated in perfume. But sometimes, that is so hard. Especially over the smell.

1st Corinthians 13:4 says this; “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not
proud.” Wow. That verse just kind of hit’s the nail on the head for me. It is not PROUD. Pride. We can’t even see it yet it’s so nosy!
I have known a lot of kids that just need love. They might stink, they might where the same clothes often, they might curse in Church - but deep down, they just need love. Often times, I’m just too prideful to show it…to love them they way the yearn for. But look at my Jesus, he loved with such great love - even the beggars were his friends. We all know that some beggars stink. Jesus loved the people who stunk.

So I should too.

When he walks up to me, to say hello, to chat, for some companionship - I want to smile and ignore the outside looks. Talk to him, ask about his week. Be a bud. When she wants a hug - and she’s still wearing the same clothes she was yesterday - I’ll hug her and give her some love.
But I can’t just love without some heart surgery. Jesus has been working on this heart of mine, sometimes it hurts - but so do the hearts of those kids who don’t understand why they aren’t loved.
They can’t understand why the kids at CHURCH even reject them. They hear “God is love.” They hope to find that in his house. And from his followers. Let’s show them they are so loved. That we care. Going up to them and telling them the gospel and then walking away doesn’t count. We need to love. Talk to them. Listen to them. Hug them. Invite them to parties. Yes. Even our parties. Because, when you truly care about your friends you have them over. You want them to have fun with you.
And I can’t do it just because I feel bad for them. In the beginning that might be why, but later on - I’m sure I’ll see a bigger reason to hang with that person. Everyone has some God given qualities. Everyone can be fun and anyone can surprise you.
That is a real challenge for me. That’s hard. That is a bigger challenge then just praying for them.
I hope I don’t come across as preaching at you. I’m preaching at myself - when I present something to you like this, it’s really a challenge for me. It helps for others to see my commitment.


So, next time I head to the movies, you just might see me sitting with them. Maybe we can make a party out of it. You want to bring the popcorn?

No comments:

Post a Comment