Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day~ A Single Article by Haley Oscar


Ever been to a roller rink, having a great time and then BAM couples skate? I remember so many times that happened to me, I'd stand there alone while all the "happy couples" danced their way to love. (So I thought, it was Jr. High everyone thought that way, right?) Valentine's Day always felt like that to me. I have never been in a relationship where we spent Valentine's Day together, I have always been single. I always hated it because all my friends would be out with their boyfriends and I sat at home with my family. I had the woe is me attitude and didn't really want much to do with the holiday.

If you’re single this Valentine's Day try to get out if you can! Chances are, you are not the only single person in the world. Being dateless can be fun, if you have the right mind set! Have a girls day, take each other out for dinner and then a movie, have girl dates! If that doesn't work out you can do a mother daughter date, or a sister’s date. Or better yet! Have a date with God, almost every year on Valentine's Day I spent my time with my head in my bible and in prayer. Valentine's Day is about showing love to others, not just the boy you've had on your mind. This year try to find some way to show God's true love to another person. Offer a couple with many kids to baby sit for free, so they can go out and have themselves a much needed date. Trust me, they will thank you! 

 Remember, being single is a good thing in your teen years, if you are in a relationship remember to be wise with how much you give your heart and mind to this person. The more you give the harder it is to let go, guard your heart! I'll leave you with something my youth pastor has said to me many times over the years, and something from my dad, who is also a pastor.

“Specifically, what would I wish guys could tell girls would be help us make the right choices by not letting us in. Song of Solomon says in three separate chapters (2, 3, & 8) to not “awaken love until it so desires.” Well the problem lies not in love, but in man; specifically boys. They think that they need to awaken love when it’s knocking at their door. They think that because they are “feeling” the need for love that they need to feed that desire. Well, like too much Thanksgiving dinner, too much love is painful.

Ladies, when the guys come around wanting to awaken love with you and date and be close, it’s your job to but the deadbolts on the door of your heart. You must not allow the young and foolish man to draw close to you. Friendship, group hangouts, and meaningful conversations are great, but once you open the gate to one cow (or dating exercise) the whole heard wants in as well.”- Pastor Nick Hubing

“One of the tragedy’s of modern culture is that they sell a bill of goods to a generation of young women that is possibly the most destructive ever seen. If I could tell all teenage girls something, it would be this- please don’t look to this world to tell you who you are, what you need for fulfillment, or how you should live to be happy. The world’s definition of all of these is a lie, and it’s a carefully crafted lie that although cleverly disguised, is meant to destroy you.

As you mature, use these years to allow Jesus to tell you who you are, what you need to do, and who you are meant to be. He loves you more than His own life, and will never lead you down the wrong path.

Prov 31:30 “Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised.” – Pastor John Oscar (Aka daddy!!)

I hope you take these words into your heart and dwell on them this Valentine’s Day.
I’m praying for you all!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice once again Haley...I love how you quoted PN ;) I agree 100%...V-day was originally meant as a holiday to celebrate love for family and friends not to celebrate romantic love!...so take a walk with Jesus instead He's the best boyfriend you'll have!

    ReplyDelete