Still I know how difficult it can be hard not to feel down about not having someone special when all your friends are celebrating the night with a candle light dinner at a fancy restaurant. Fear not there is hope and with a little work you can still have a great Valentine’s day. So here are 10 tips to make the best of your holiday.
1. First off, DO NOT define yourself by your relationship status. You should never identify yourself by whether or not you are in a relationship. When you find yourself wishing you had someone this holiday just remember that it’s better to be single than to be in a bad relationship.
2. What better time than Valentine’s Day to start thinking about the qualities you want in your future husband. Take some time to write a list of all the things that you really want in the man you marry, don’t be afraid to put down qualities such as “has a good smile” or “plays sports” but be sure to put down qualities such as “puts God above all” and “respects authority” Then take some time to pray over your list and ask God to keep your future husband pure until the day that you are brought together.
3. Since you’re already thinking about your future husband, why not spend some time thinking about the future you. Think about the type of wife you want to be and start working on becoming the person your dream partner would fall in love with. Start preparing now to be the wife God wants you to be so that you’ll be ready when Mr. Right comes along.
4. Plan well in advance to do something that will not place you in the path of all those cooing couples. Even if you usually enjoy eating out by yourself or you think it would be fun to go and see that movie you’ve been dying to see, think about how you’ll feel when you’re sitting there alone watching all those couples making kissy faces at each other. Trust me it’s not worth the torture.
5. Do something special for yourself. Go on a shopping spree and get yourself something new to wear to school that day. Dress up and look your best. If you feel good you’ll be more confident and you’ll find it harder to let your mind slip into the insecure thoughts that threaten to make you feel like you’re not good enough or like no guy could ever love you. Cause I can tell you that those are just lies from the Devil who hates when you feel secure with who you are and loves making God’s creation doubt itself.
6. Try to resist the temptation to comfort eat. If you feel the need to stuff yourself full of ice cream and cookies and chips than you’ll only feel worse about yourself in the end when you gain a pound or two. You’ll feel much better about yourself if you treat your body right.
7. Get out and enjoy nature. Valentine’s Day is my favorite day to go for a long walk and spend time in God’s presence. Take some time to enjoy God’s creation. Whether there’s still snow on the ground or the grass is just starting to peak through take a moment to breathe the fresh air and thank God for being Valentine
8. Have a single’s party. Invite a bunch of your girl friends over to celebrate being single together. Set up your own candle light dinner and rent a comedy and just have fun laughing together and building relationships that are deeper than just a quick fling. Maybe you even want to take some time to write out the perfect husband list from #2 together
9. Volunteer somewhere. According to 1 Corinthians chapter 13 there is much more to love than just pretty flowers and romantic feelings. Maybe you would rather spend your Valentine’s Day showing true love to those who rarely get shown God’s love. What better way to experience God's love than to share it with others
10. Be content and be thankful. Remember that being single is a gift. You more than likely won’t always be single and when you finally meet the perfect man, get married and start you’ll lives together you’ll start to realize all the things you can’t do now that you have another person to think about. Make the most out of this time that you have, do the things that you’ve always wanted to do because this time won’t last forever.
Whatever you do this Valentine’s Day don’t let a couple-driven culture define your choice as something wrong. Be a trendsetter. Enjoy being different. Learn to be happy with yourself and avoid following the crowd.
Did you know that Nataleigh has never sung in the shower?!
Did you know that Abby has a large family of 10?!
Photograph property of Lilies Among Thorns Magazine. Photograph taken by Abby Whear.