Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Small Things~ Nataleigh Robinson

If you had been told to do something great you would have done it. How much more than when it is something simple. 2 Kings 5:13
I remember sitting up late one night reading a book and just crying. I had just started the book that day but I just couldn't put it down. After finally finishing it I turned out the lights but I still couldn't get to sleep. I felt as if God was telling me something and I just couldn't get it out of my head. It was that night that I decided that God wanted me to be a teen guidance counselor and not only that but that he wanted me to go to public school. 

I had been homeschooled all my life and I was afraid to go to public school. I wasn't even sure what my parents would think of that idea. But I obeyed God and began the process to go to public school.  The amazing thing was that when the time finally came for me to walk through those doors for the first time.  I wasn't even the tiniest bit nervous and my first day went better than I had ever imagined.

Sometimes the things God asks us to do might scare us at first. But God doesn't always tell us the things he wants us to do right that instant.  While God wanted me to go to school he didn't necessarily want me to go running to my mom and tell her that I was going right away. It took nearly 2 years of me preparing myself and working out the details before I was ready to walk through those doors and by then I had thought through it so much and had so many people give me their input that it was like a normal part of my life already.

All God asks of us is that we trust that He's got it all under control. But don't overlook the little things that He asks you to do at that very moment that may one day affect that future dream that he has placed in your mind. Sometimes we get so caught up in looking for the big things God wants us to do that we overlook the little things.  It’s been almost 6 years since that dream to become a counselor first began to germinate in my mind.  That dream has gone through numerous changes over the years but the heart of it is still the same.

In the verse at the beginning of this entry The leper Naaman had gone to the prophet Elisha to be healed and Elisha told him to go and wash in the dirtiest river there was. Naaman refused and left dejected. It was his servant who said the words at the beginning of this entry telling him he would have done anything to be healed but yet refused to do something as simple as washing in a dirty lake.

We must never think that something we do is not as important as something that someone else does because everything is important in the kingdom of God .  It is God who put dreams in our hearts and He is kind enough to allow us the responsibility and the choice to do what we wish with what we are given.
 

1 comment: